Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Works-for-Me-Wednesday: Natural Cleaners




I enjoy cleaning. My own home, that is. I can't say that I just love cleaning for it's own sake, but I love to make my home sparkle and shine and smell good. When I used to use commercial, name brand cleaners the smells used to make me get a headache, and were so overpowering. (I'm slightly allergic to airborne things.) But then I discovered that you can make your own cleaning solutions! I just love to make things, so I started experimenting with different things. Now what I use is so simple, saves a lot of money, and is not endangering my health!

Floors:
My favorite solution for cleaning my kitchen floor is a bucket of hot water, about 1/2 cup of white vinegar and rosemary oil. This works great, and the rosemary oil smells so delightful!! (More on essential oils another time)


Bathrooms:
For my bathroom I use white vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle. Spray this on your faucets and wherever you need a shine. Let sit a few minutes, then wipe off. This takes those hard-to-clean water spots off and leaves everythings so shiny! I think it's my favorite. I love to use it on my kitchen sink faucet, and get it dazzlingly clean! :)
Baking soda works really well on tubs, sinks and almost anywhere.

White vinegar kills bacteria and germs. The Good Housekeeping Institute reported in 2000 on CBS 48 Hours, that white vinegar kills 99% of bacteria, 82% of mold, and 80% of viruses. I have also heard that if hospitals used vinegar as a disinfectant, the infection rates would go way down. Good to know!



These are a few things that work for me to help keep my family healthy!





4 comments:

*carrie* said...

Anna,

I look forward to reading your ideas on natural and healthy living!

DDanielle said...

I also look forward to your ideas. I have to admit I am bad at keeping up on living healthy. I will have to remember to check back!

Amy said...

Welcome to blogging. My sister has been using vinegar for years--everything from cleaning the kitchen to homemade diaper wipes. I'm not quite there yet, but am heading in that direction.

One additional note, if you don't like (or get tired of) the smell, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to the mix.

Anonymous said...

I have used vinegar for cleaning in the past and my one complaint was always the smell. I will add this tip to a blog I did on using vinegar. We are trying to be more "green" in our house and would love to continue reading any tips you have!