Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Baby skin care


I just used cornstarch in place of baby powder on my 3 mo. old, and I was surprised how great it worked! From what I've read, something in baby powder is bad for a baby's lungs, so I've avoided using it. Cornstarch made Joseph's damp skin dry instantly, and oh-so-soft. I will definitely use that again!

My own tendency to dry skin seems to be inherited in my son, and I've been trying to find ways to keep it moisturized without the typical baby lotion. (Though it's tempting to use, it smells so good!) I've rubbed a bit of olive oil in, and that seems to help. I've also used a detergent free baby wash on him too, although Johnsons's baby wash is supposed to be extremely mild. I'm thinking I should start taking a EFA supplement myself, (flax, evening primrose, etc.) in hopes that some of it will be passed to him through nursing.

What do you use on your baby? Do you have any favorite natural products?

4 comments:

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

I had one child with especially dry skin. With her, I used olive oil and sometimes shortening on her skin.=) I also did corn starch for rashes. I used yogurt for yeast infections- but you have to watch that. Just a little takes care of the yeast, too much causes a different sort of rash. Baby-dophilus is gentler.

I read that if you put a splash of vinegar in the bathwater this makes for softer skin, and though it seemed counterintuitive, I tried it and it really did work.

Anonymous said...

I massage my babies with either grapeseed oil or coconut oil, or a mixture of the two. I often get comments on how soft their skin is

Blessings!

Sarah Joy said...

I used gads of cornstarch on my kids when they had chicken pox-in the bath with them, it helps the itches. Since then I've used it on rashes, heat rash, and even bug bites and it helps anywhere there is itchy skin.

Olive oil has been the best moisturizer Ive used. I massaged my son's flakey dry skin all over with it every time I changed his diaper, and he when from a scaley lizard back to my rosey little munchkin again. I just had to keep applying it.

Someone Beautiful said...

I use California Baby Lotion and their Calming shampoo/body wash. They are organic/natural with real chamomile and lavendar!

I accidentally discovered the moisturizing qualities of apple cider vinegar over the winter when I spilled some onto my dry hands! It does sting a bit on open wounds, but it is so moisturizing and healing! It also has antibacterial properties. Some people take a teaspoon to a tablespoon in a glass of water (with honey!) every day for the internal health benefits. I am looking into that more.

If you use oils, such as olive oil, be sure they are cold pressed. The oils you buy in the regular grocery store (unless they are cold pressed) are refined by being heated to high temps, bleached, among other cleaning agents, rendering them toxic. Always get the unrefined/cold pressed version in the health food section of large groceries or health food stores. I like to get the savings in a HUGE bottle of cold pressed virgin olive oil at big health food chains when I can.